Frivolous Habits Must Be Broken

I've always been a spender. I've often been told that 'money burns a hole in my pocket', and I must admit, if I have some spare, I'll most definitely spend it. But there comes a time when 'a treat' or 'necessity' isn't really that anymore. Remember my post on my overflow clothes rail? Well I'm embarrassed to say that my overflow rail is overflowing and could do with an overflow rail of it's own. It might sound funny, but the real truth is when half of it is still new with tags, it is actually just a waste.

I must admit of late, my cosmetics/beauty spending habits have vastly improved. I'm not longer buying something every time I go into Boots/Tesco/Asda/Any where that sells makeup. And it feels good. I've tried to also curb my hoarding habits and given/thrown away the things that are unloved or old. Why have 20+ lipsticks sitting in a drawer if in reality I wear one or two?

It's so easy to get caught up in the newest products to hit the shelves, or the coolest new trends, but being the biggest impulse buyer, it isn't the smartest idea. For a long time I blamed blogging, or reading blogs, or watching Youtube videos. But to be completely honest, it's just me. I can't pass the buck, I have very little self restraint, and that coupled with a lack of financial responsibility at the moment is a very dangerous combination.


So what am I going to do about it? It's all good and well throwing things out, giving them to friends or charity. Telling myself to stop frivolous spending is one thing, doing so is another. Maybe the shop-a-holic's among my readers will relate when I say that the moment ASOS do a 20% off offer, or I stumble into Topshop and spot a dress I've had my eye on for half price, the spending ban goes down the pan.

But I'm 18 now. I'm no longer spending pocket money on fun things with zero consequence. I'm spending money I've earned myself, that quite frankly, could go to much better use.

So here's my plan of action:
  • Save. How hard can it be? I figured I'll set up a new account purely for savings and direct debit a set amount per month, that way I'll never even miss it. Obviously the card will be out of reach.
  • Use what I have. Whats wrong with that Nars blush that I bought, and raved about, claiming it to be my holy grail? Nothing, I just found something new, and it got pushed to the back of my drawers, forgotten about. I don't need anything.
  • Be realistic. Telling myself to spend zero pounds zero pence on anything that doesn't impact on my basic survival is pretty unachievable. When I run out of makeup remover, yes I could use baby wipes, but I don't want to, so I'll buy more. I just don't need 5 on the go at once.
  • Use my brain. I'm going on holiday soon, so a duty free splurge is inevitable, but hey, it's a special occasion. If I make an informed, rational purchase(s) then whats the problem? Like I have mentioned a million times before, I need to grasp the idea of quality not quantity.

I know that it is so easy to feel relatively deprived, being a blogger/blog reader. I know the urge when you read a glowing review about a product and need to rush out at the nearest opportunity to buy it. We are always looking for the next best thing, and hey, I don't blame you. But when you've got 10 'search for best foundation' rejects collecting dust in a drawer, I think it's time for a change.

Can you relate? Are you frugal or frivolous? Do you want to join me in curbing your extreme spending habits? Maybe you're the opposite, and feel guilty making any indulgent purchases? What ever your situation, I'd love to hear any tips you may have about being money savvy in the comments!

22 comments:

  1. I've been like this these past few weeks. I've been selling unused items on eBay and swapping make up on Make Up Alley for my essentials! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just started popping unloved things on ebay too, curious as to what the swapping system is on makeup alley? might have a peak xx

      Delete
  2. I make sure if and when I buy anything I sell something in its place! Makes me feel less guilty!

    http://rosie-makes.blogspot.co.uk/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea, might allow myself to buy a new product if i completely use one up! Thanks for the tip xx

      Delete
  3. I made a wishlist that I make myself stick to. I started it at the start of the year & gave myself 5 extra spots that I could add things to. The whole point to it was that I was really thinking about what I was purchasing so I wouldn't have any sort of buyers remorse. Thus far it has worked great & I still have places that I can add things. I don't regret anything I've purchased. I'm all about quality over quantity & this has done wonders for me. It still allows me to purchase things, just on a more conscious level & not in large amounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thats a lovely idea. That way you don't get that 'oh why did i even buy that?' feeling after impulse buying. might have to start making a realistic practical wishlist that isn't 8 pages long! thanks so much for the brilliant idea! xx

      Delete
  4. Absolutely agree with everything you said. I tell myself I will start selling on ebay... never happens!

    x

    http://flowerfulsoul.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a hassle. I have just popped up about 5 things and have loads more that I'm putting off doing! Hope everything goes well! xx

      Delete
  5. Well written Sophy! I agree completely...especially with ebay/swaps! I am always tempted to try different international brands (I'm in the States but went on a Sleek kick last year!) but this year I'm trying to focus on quality products that I research before hand and of course use up what I've got or sell. I also have restricted myself from filling up the rest of my MAC palette until I hit pan on a shadow in it xx

    -Lindsay x

    http://justanothermuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's the temptation and like you are almost being sold on things by glowing reviews from other people. It's easy to think you NEED items, when really, you are just lusting after it. Brilliant idea with the MAC palette. I'm thinking of depotting my shadows so might do the same thing. Thanks for the ideas xx

      Delete
  6. I totally relate to this and how many times i say I will not buy anything I always find something to buy!!
    http://starvogue84.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats the thing though isn't it? I think you've totally hit the nail on the head there for me. I'm FINDING things to buy. It's not like 'oh I've ran out of mascara, I need a new one' Instead it's 'I want to try another mascara, I'll just get this random one because its on offer'

      Hope you get on ok on a spending cut back!!xx

      Delete
  7. I can really relate to this. I am finding it so hard to save at the moment, I have been really good and using up all my products especially little minis that you get from buying things. I need to banish my debt which I got myself in from uni (I don't mean my student loan but my overdraft and credit card *gulp8*) Then I can start saving. I loved this post!!
    LaceyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh I think it's easy to say to yourself 'use all this up'. But it's harder to resist temptation, especially when new better things are coming out on a weekly basis. Maybe it's about loving what you have, I was so pleased with myself when I wore a skirt in 5 different ways, maybe I'll do a post on something like that?

      Sorry to hear about the overdraft, what with having such a thing readily available, its such an easy trap to fall in to! The thing I've done to counter that is ask my bank not to have one. Seriously I can't even have one there for emergencies, I have no self restraint!!

      Glad you loved the post hun! Thanks for sharing xx

      Delete
  8. ahhh i can definitely relate to this! ive been really trying to use the makeup i already own as well as using up a few skincare bits, rather than constantly buying new things and when I feel i do 'need' something ive been weighing up my options and seeing if it is actually a 'need' or just another waste! great post, great tips, thanks! :) nicola xxx
    welcome-to-nicola-land.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goodness i read this nodding along because this is word for word what i am like! I always go shopping and end up buying stuff i dont need and quietly say to myself 'right, this is it now, no more spending' only to pass through Boots on the way to work and buy something else - half of my wardrobe i dont wear either. This was such a good post - thankyou fo the tips :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I love your blog^^

    blogg♥mfashionfreak
    giveaway♥mfashionfreak

    I'd love to follow you if you could do the same for me <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're right Sophie! I need to follow your rules too :)
    Thanks
    xxx
    Claudia
    http://claudia-overtherainbow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You could always have a blog sale and use the money from it to put in a savings account and build it up! I usually write myself a list of things I'd like to save up for then when I've saved enough I go back to my list and most of the time the things I wrote down I don't really want, I just thought I did months before. I hope you figure something out and don't worry, you're not alone! Haha. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great post! I second the idea for a blog sale maybe that can be the beginnings of your savings :)

    Following you from http://loveububba.blogspot.co.uk/

    Tai x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can totally relate to you, my wardrobe is now bulging with clothes and i've got more makeup than sense , I find im really good with foundation though and only have 1 or 2 , and I know if i've got bills to pay that comes first, maybe take photographs of all the items you have and stick them in a little book you can carry round with you , and every time you feel tempted open it (even writing down all your items if you cannot print pictures)

    http://kirsthu.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kirsthu

    Kirsty x

    ReplyDelete