Baking: Marbled Nutella Sponge Cake

If you follow me on instagram (link above!), you may have seen that I have became somewhat obsessed with baking of late. I have a sweet tooth and also a complete love of cakes. Seriously, I think I could give up all the other indulgences others adore (take-aways, chocolate bars and the like) and only have cakes as my luxury, naughty food. After a few successful, but safe, attempts I decided to make a Nutella cake based on a video I'd seen on Tanya's vlog channel.

IMG_2141 IMG_2142
So, for the sponge, I followed a Lorraine Pascal Victoria sponge recipe, but you could just use one that you know works for you. I personally prefer to use an electric whisk as it makes the ingredients bind better, and therefore your cake fluffier!

IMG_2145
Here's an action shot. I like to add half my flour and eggs and whisk, then the other, just so again, it binds better. Also, I skip Vanilla pods and use flavouring, just because its cheaper and more convenient. Once all mixed well, I then spooned in the Nutella using the method in Tanya's video. This gives a lovely marbled effect. Cook in the oven on the temperature and time span that your recipe specifies. The Nutella made no difference to this, in my opinion.

IMG_2150
Finished! Leave to cool for as long as possible. Honestly, this is so important, usually I can't wait to let it go cold, but with this, the Nutella really needs to set or it will go flakey.

IMG_2151
And here's what the insides look like. I'd recommend to use two tins, just because its hard to cut the marbled effect.

IMG_2153
Fill the inside how you like, I used a layer of warmed (I left mine in the hot conservatory) with a palette knife, and then a layer of halved strawberries. I think this would also be lovely like this if you're not as into chocolate (a.k.a an alien)

IMG_2154
Sprinkle the top with icing sugar, or maybe a thin layer of Nutella. I thought that the latter may be a little OTT, but if you are really into chocolate, then go for it! In fact, you could decorate it just about however you fancy!

IMG_2155

Tada!! Doesn't it look tasty. I must be honest it is a distant memory now, eaten long ago. My hips certainly don't love all this baking no matter how much I enjoy eating it!

If you've enjoyed my baking post, then let me know and I'll do some more!

3 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely amazing:)

    thebeautymist.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Would attempt to have a go at it but I'm on a diet! :( xx

    http://beautyful-fashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete