Are you addicted to shopping?

Do you spend an insane amount of time browsing fashion blogs, scrolling constantly to find where an outfit is from? Does a simple automated sale notification email from a brand lead to an online splurge? Do you keep a 'wishlist' of items that you wish to buy? Do you find yourself making excuses and concocting reasons why you have to buy that bag/shoes/blouse?

Are you nodding along? I know personally, I could think of a time in the past month where I have experienced one of the above. In true Rebecca Bloomwood style, I've come to terms with the simple fact that ..

"My name is Sophie Morgan and I'm a shop-a-holic"

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 16.17.31

 Its a running joke in my family that I can't visit any shop, be it Topshop, Asda or B&Q and leave empty handed. I'll always find something I need and in reality return home with something that I don't. But its not really that funny in reality is it?

Although like Rebecca Bloomwood, I'm not maxing out credit cards, in any debt, or pretending to speak Finnish to potential employers. But I am building quite the "collection" of material, superficial items. An overflowing wardrobe means an overflow rail is purchased. An overflowing overflow rail means that bags of unworn, still with tags on clothes sit hidden in the corner of my room. Both of my nans have "out of season" clothes stored in boxes at their houses, that deep down I know I'm unlikely to wear again, but can't part with simply because I know the value of all of those clothes. Add up those two skirts from Topshop and sandals from ASOS and it's topping £100 already. The majority of my pay packet is spent on clothes, make-up, bags, shoes, all things I've got copious amounts of already. Things I love, or at least did once? So why aren't they good enough?

Are any of us ever going to be happy with what we have already? What is an acceptable amount to spend on material items? It's scary to think that if I total up the 3 high end designer bags that I own, at the sale price I paid for them I could buy a second hand car, an iMac, heck I could pay for me and my boyfriend to go on a two week all inclusive holiday to the Caribbean?

I know if you thought like this about spending on things that aren't essentials, your life would be not only completely boring but also, if you earned it, why shouldn't you spend it? I'm not talking about living off of Tesco value baked beans and wearing the same Primark pair of boots until the sole falls off. Just cutting down spending. Stopping the impulsive purchases. 

So will you do it with me? I'm planning on making regular Sunday feature on spending and shopping and would love to hear if 1) you are interested, and 2) you will be joining me on my journey to better spending habits.


p.s. I'm writing this because I accidentally on purpose went an purchased a vintage Dior Saddle bag off of my new favourite website http://uk.vestiairecollective.com/
Whoops... 

3 comments:

  1. Funnily enough I was just comparing myself to Rebecca Bloomwood after ordering far too much online in the past and ordering a few items from Monki online today, I need serious help. But yes, I need better spending habits too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to reevaluate my spending habits after leaving my part time job i really cannot afford to treat myself like i used to yet this still doesnt seem to be stopping me! i need to attent a shopaholics anonymous class clearly!
    http://accioabigail.blogspot.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting feature! I'm not so bad with clothes but I'm definitely bad with makeup, buying things without having tried them then not even liking them or them not suiting me! So ridiculous but decided to have a clear out tomorrow since this post :) x

    http://thebeautyvisual.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete