Vintage Vogue 7740 80's dress

IMG_3060 IMG_3058 IMG_3059 IMG_3062 IMG_3063 IMG_3057

My sewing machine had been gathering a little dust of late because of a hectic work schedule, my dad having an accident on his bike, and no proper work space for my machine and projects.

But alas, I've got two weeks off, my dad is home with his back brace, and a new desk means that I've got all the space I need. When I headed off to Ikea to buy my desk (obviously!) I picked up some fabric too. Its relatively cheap compared to John Lewis and Hobby Craft haberdashery, so I picked up 1.5 metres of this polka dot print with my new 80's Princess Dianna inspired pattern in mind.

It was an easy, no zips or buttons, no fuss make. I made a few alterations pre fabric cutting by shortening the bodice by 1 inch and the length by 6 inches. During production, I decided to eliminate the pockets and take in the entire side seams by around 3 inches. Vintage patterns (and clothing) sizing tends to come up very small, however, this is only 80's so I think I over estimated by buying the size 12.

It was my first time putting in gathered sleeves and I think they look pretty cute. They're what really gives that 80's feel, however I did miss out the shoulder pads as I think that would be a touch too fancy dress.

What do you think of my handmade dress?


No comments:

Post a Comment